Samstag, Januar 14, 2006

0.21 ct/min - where's the catch / wo ist der haken?

Cheap internet dial up - the best a student can wish for when there's no broadband around...

Germany has some pretty sweet dial up providers, some as cheap as 0.21 ct (yeah rite: EUR 0.0021) a minute. Well, to cut the story short - I was using one of them for a while now. At the time I started using it, that particular provider charged 0.21 ct/min Monday to Sunday. ...

Two or three hours a day - no hazzle.

In Deutschland gibts guenstige Modem-Interneteinwahlen - manche kosten gerade einmal 0,21 ct (jepp - 0,0021 EUR) pro Minute. Naja, um's kurz zu machen - Ich nutzte einen solchen Billiganbieter, um mich per modem einzuwaehlen. Zum Zeitpunkt der ersten Nutzung verlangte der Anbieter 0,21 ct/Min Montag bis Sonntag.

Zwei bis drei Stunden online pro Tag - kein Problem.

Then I came across that forum post by a guy who had a phone bill of EUR 400.00 after using a certain provider for a month. Turned out they changed the dial up charge from 0.21 ct/min to 2,49 ct/min.

I though "Oh well ... robbers, that couldn't happen to me..." - yet I had to be sure and checked my providers homepage and HEY ... THEY TOO DID IT!!! Thank god I only spent some 100 minutes at the elevated price.

Dann stiess ich auf einen Forumsbeitrag von einem Typen, der eine Telefonrechnung von 400,00 EUR zu zahlen hatte nachdem er einen bestimmten Provider einen Monat lang genutzt hat. Wie sich herausstellte, hatte sein Anbieter den Tarif von 0,21 ct auf 2,49 ct pro Min. erhoeht.

Ich dachte mir "Naja, ... Abzocker, sowas kann mir nicht passieren..." - trotzdem beschlich mich ein komisches Gefuehl, so dass ich nochmal auf der Homepage von meinem Anbieter den tatsaechlichen aktuellen Tarif pruefte und HEY.... die hatten doch tatsaechlich auch den Preis verelffacht. Gott sei Dank hatte ich bis dahin nur 100 Minuten im neuen Tarif gesurft.

So, from today on, I'll check for the cheapest provider on a daily basis. Right now I'm online for 0.11 ct/min :-)

Also, von heute an pruefe ich bei jeder Einwahl, ob mein Tarif noch der guenstigste ist. Im Moment bin ich sogar fuer nur 0,11 ct / Min. online. :-)

Talking of rip-off - I tried to get around paying that EUR 500.00 long time tudition fee at my German college - something Bavaria introduced only last year, after 3rd level education has been free in Germany for the last decades. Yesterday my appeal was rejected. Tough times ahead. I guess I'll pay and finish as quick as possible. No use to pay even more for a college that is far from meeting international standards. Funny enough the college won't see a single Euro of my money, it all goes directly to the Bavarian government in Munich.

Ach ja - zum Thema Abzocke - ich hatte versucht, um die 500,00 EUR Langzeitstudiengebuehr fuer meine FH rumzukommen - eine Gebuehr, die in Bayern erst dieses Semester eingefuehrt wurde, nachdem Hochschulbildung in Deutschland fuer soviele Jahrzehnte "kostenlos" war. Gestern wurde mein Antrag abgelehnt. Harte Zeiten voraus. Ich werde also zahlen und so schnell wie moeglich abschliessen - hat keinen Sinn fuer eine kleine deutsche FH zu zahlen, die weit davon entfernt ist, internationale Standards zu erfuellen. Komischerweise geht das Geld direkt nach Muenchen, die FH sieht davon keinen Euro.

Germany sucks - for me.

Deutschland stinkt - mir.